Tuesday, November 11, 2008

We all scream for ice cream

I try to do the right thing, and most of the time I stay on the high fat, high protein diet, but in the name of science, I have to try ice creams to see if I can find a better one than the one I developed (see recipe below). Now, life in this new age is complicated, and I also try to buy local products as much as possible, so you can imagine my delight when my new neighborhood Whole
Foods store had a local ice cream for sale (the big sign over the case trumpeted the story) called 5 Boroughs.

So, ok, I live in the New York metropolitan area with its 5 boroughs and I thought, now this is good. One of their flavors was called "Cha Cha Chocolate". Sounded good. I grabbed it and went - as in my usual style of grab and go grocery shopping. Never bothering to read the fine print.

As we all know, people, you gotta read the label. Its part of being an informed shopper. Especially if you're on any kind of special diet. But god forbid I should follow my own rules. This cha cha chocolate is flavored with habaneros and chipotles. Excuse me? Now i'm from Texas and i can stand tall with the best of them at the capsaicin counter, but this ice cream flavor was not a marriage made in heaven. And you don't even want to hear about the calorie and carb count. OK. But I did love the vanilla. Yum. But, I learned my lesson. I went back to the ice cream recipe I developed for the book, made up a pint in my trusty Cuisinart and everybody was happy. even Doctor Salerno who knows that i fall off the wagon once in a while. You don't have to. Just make the ice cream I developed. In fact, if you don't have an ice cream maker, you could even just freeze it in a pan then whiz it up in the food processor before serving.

And yes, you can eat this home made ice cream from day 1 of the Fight Fat with Fat diet. didn't I tell you you'd never have to suffer???



Full Fat Chocolate Ice Cream

Makes 1 quart

15 minutes to cook custard

4 hours + to cure in the refrigerator

20 minutes to freeze in electric ice cream maker

One of my particular weaknesses is ice cream. I might be able to eschew cakes and pies, even my beloved chocolate chip cookies, but ice cream? I don’t think so. I dug out my first cookbook and made a version of my favorite traditional custard ice cream, simply substituting stevia for the sugar, and adding some fine European cocoa I’d brought home from my last trip. I used the traditional method, and when it was made, the flavor was fantastic. You can substitute other flavorings for the cocoa: lemon zest and juice, orange, crushed coffee beans, a vanilla bean, smashed strawberries or blueberries. You get the idea this is your lifeline.

4 large organic egg yolks

4 cups heavy cream

¼ cup best quality unsweetened European Dutch process cocoa

Pinch salt

8 -10 drop liquid stevia (or to taste)

Whip egg yolks and half the cream in a glass measure or bowl. Pour remaining cream, cocoa and salt in a heavy bottom saucepan and heat until cocoa is completely dissolved.

Pour custard and cocoa mixture together and whisk thoroughly. Cook until the custard coats the back of a spoon. Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours. Pour the mixture into the ice cream canister and freeze in your ice cream maker.*

*No ice cream freezer? Just freeze it in a pan, then dump it into the food processor and whiz it up before serving. Yum.

1 Comments:

At November 11, 2008 at 1:54 PM , Blogger El said...

But are there any decent commercial diet ice creams out there? I hate most of the ones I see in the grocery store. el

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home