Friday, November 21, 2008

The Dark Side of Dieting


So, for weeks and weeks, I have followed the low carb diet plan faithfully, sometimes going for a week or so with no carbs at all. But once in awhile, something inside me just snaps and I have to have my old favorites.

Like today. I can't really tell you why. Perhaps its just old tapes playing. You know, You need comfort, you eat something sweet and sassy. But when i got up this morning, I just knew I had to have pancakes.

So I hustled around in the kitchen making the basic dry mix, you know, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt. All the things I NEVER eat. Then I broke an egg into the mix. I didn't have any milk in the house. I'd bought some Eggnog for the coming holiday visitors. Its one of those things I can have in the house to serve to friends, and know it will be safe because I don't really like it much. So I whizzed it into the dry mixture but it was thick and noncompliant. There was a bottle of jack on the counter so I sloshed a little whiskey into the mix. Perfect texture, thin, pale, creamy colored, and I poured it into the hot skillet. Now let me tell you, the mixture of egg nog and whiskey just made almost perfect pancakes. The flavor was mysterious and smoky, a little sweet and a lot of lovely.

I ate two of them, but I gave the other three to the dogs. Let their diet slide a little today too.

But now I'm back on the wagon. I won't be doing that again. I'll have pork loin and brussels sprouts for lunch.

And maybe I'll make the dog run extra long this afternoon, in expiation for my sins. Thanks for hearing my confession.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home