Tuesday, January 6, 2009

You know you want it

OK. Tell the truth. When you stand in line at the grocery store and see The National Enquirer for sale aren't you tempted to buy it? I could hardly resist this week, when I saw the cover. Look at all those bare bellies? Where are the flat belly celebrities? And how did they get there? And so what?The National Enquirer Cover

Well what drew me to this cover was that picture of the woman with her face covered up and it said Guess Who? What I was thinking is, hmm, that looks kind of like me. Except her thighs are worse, but her tone is better. Of course, she is the same age as my daughter, so maybe I get 5 years off for good behavior, and some bit of credit for being old. But I don't know.

Women can't help comparing themselves to each other. So when I flipped the issue open - ok - i couldn't wait until I got home, I read the damn magazine in the parking lot, sipping my Starbucks. A little guilty pleasure. but you wanna know who that Babe is? It's Pierce Brosnan's wife. And it sez she weighed 130 when she met her hunka munka husband, but now eats what she wants and weighs 195. she's 5'8", just like me, and that's about how I gained weight, because my husband thought I looked just luscious.

But, OK. So time passes. blood pressure goes up. Blood Sugars go crazy. You gotta get a grip. You can't just indulge yourself forever. Well maybe you can, but only if you leave out the processed carbs that make your blood sugars spike and your blood pressure soar.

So, Pierce's wife. I've lost 30 pounds and you'll be happy when you do too. Honest you will. And if you fight fat with fat you won't even suffer.

So here's a great recipe I just discovered recently that works for me. My grocery store sells a container called "salad fixins" that is a blend of almond, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. According to their nutritionals 1/4 cup has 14 carbs. So I put about 1/2 of that into the slaw and it was yummy. 7 carbs I can live with. This goes really well with ham. I bought one of those spiral sliced ham and I've eaten off it all week. Still good to me.

Napa Cabbage Slaw with Salad Fixins

makes 2 servings

4 cups shaved napa cabbage

1/4 cup "Salad Fixins" (dried cranberries, almonds, and pumpkin seeds)

2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil

few drops best quality balsamic vinegar

pinch salt

Mix it all up and divide between two plates. Add 2 to 4 oz. protein meat and Baby, that's lunch.













Napa Cabbage Slaw

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home